Grangegorman, Dublin 7

The Lower House was built circa 1810-1815 and was designed by Francis Johnston, the architect of GPO in O’Connell St., Dublin. It was formally known as the Richmond Lunatic Asylum and is one of the oldest surviving buildings on the Grangegorman Campus. The wings were added in 1822, to a design by William Murray. Works involved the consolidation and stabilisation of the structure to allow investigation and further development in the future by the Grangegorman Development Agency

Client: Grangegorman Development Agency

  • Removal of remaining roof, part of which had already collapsed. 
  • Stabilising walls with steel propping.
  • Bracing window and door openings. 
  • Installation of security grilles to selected opes. 
  • Temporary capping of walls and cills with a lime and mortar mix.
  • Demolition of unstable walls.
  • Clearing of all vegetation and asbestos debris
  • Reconstruction of chimneys and roof to centre block.
  • Recording and surveying all historical details.
  • The original roof of the central block was reinstated which necessitated the replication of period details and the re-use of much original material.